Public Marriage Licenses & Ceremonies
Public Marriage Licenses
To obtain a marriage license, both people must appear together at the County Clerk's office located at:
701 Ocean St., Room 210
Santa Cruz, CA 95060.
- The fee for a regular marriage license is $90.00 cash or check.
- A blood test is not required.
- Each person must present one form of valid photo identification with proof of age. If either party has been granted a divorce within 90 days of applying for a new marriage license, a copy of the final divorce decree must be presented at the time of issue.
Your marriage license is effective immediately and valid for 90 days anywhere within the state of California ONLY. Once you have your wedding license the ceremony can be performed by
- a priest, minister, or rabbi of any religious denomination who is 18 years of age or older;
- an active or retired Judge, Commissioner, or Assistant Commissioner of a court in this State;
- A legislator or constitutional officer of this state or a Member of Congress who represents a district within this state, while that person holds office;
- an active elected county supervisor or mayor of a city in California;
- a Commissioner or Deputy Commissioner of Civil Marriages; or
- by a City Clerk.
At your wedding ceremony, you must have at least one and not more than two witnesses who also sign the license. If you are getting married at the County Clerk’s Office and need us to provide a witness, the fee is $15 per witness.
Civil Ceremony Marriage Information.
Confidential License Information.
This office issues marriage licenses ONLY if both parties are at least 18 years of age.
Marriage Licensing information if Under 18.