Filing a Fictitious Business Name Statement
A Fictitious Business Name may be filed by mail or in person.
To file a Fictitious Business Name, follow these steps:
- Search the "Index of Fictitious Business Names" located at the County Clerk’s office, or visit our Fictitious Business Name Online Index, to ensure the name you intend to file is not already registered.
- Complete an official Fictitious Business Name filing form in blue or black ink. Click here for Fictitious Business Name Form (PDF Format)
- Present the completed form, along with payment at the customer counter, OR
Send the completed form, along with a check made payable to Santa Cruz County Clerk and a legal-size, self-addressed stamped envelope to:
Santa Cruz County Clerk
701 Ocean Street, Room 210
Santa Cruz, CA 95060
A triplicate copy of the Statement will be returned to you:
- One is for your records.
- One is for you to present to the publisher for publication in a local adjudicated newspaper.
- One is for you to present to your bank.
- When business is conducted by a "CORPORATION", "LIMITED PARTNERSHIP" or "LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY", submit a copy of the "Articles of Incorporation" filed with the state.
The fee to register a Fictitious Business Name is: $40.00 for the first business name and owner name and $7.00 for each additional business name or owner name.
A Fictitious Business Name should be filed within 40 days of first transacting business. Once registered, it is effective for 5 years. You will need to re-register prior to the date of expiration or if the business location changes. Fictitious Business Names are filed only in the county where the business is located. State-wide registries do not exist.
For abandoning a Fictitious Business Name, please fill out this form: Fictitious Business Name Statement of Abandon and follow the above instructions just as you would to file a name
For withdrawing a partnership operating under a Fictitious Business Name, please fill out this form: Statement of Withdrawal from a Partnership Operating as a Fictitious Business Name